Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
CONTEST DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 19, 2018
- Writers of any age or professional situation may enter or be nominated.
- Individuals may submit up to three entries total to the competition. If more than three entries are received, only the first three entries submitted will be accepted.
- Individuals may submit more than one entry per category. However, the same piece cannot be submitted to more than one category.
- Each entry must be submitted separately.
- Entries may be used in whole or in part at the awards ceremony or for event publicity.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No awards will be given in a category if no entries are deemed worthy of citation by the judges.
- No one person may win in a category more than three times within a five-year period. Entries by any person who has won three times in such a time period will be excluded.
- Deadline to submit entries is February 19, 2018.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for all contest inquiries.
Anyone may nominate the work of reporters, producers, editors and writers for consideration in the following categories:
- SPECIAL TOPIC CATEGORY FOR 2018 MIRROR AWARDS: Best Story on Fake News ($1,000 prize): A carefully researched print, digital or broadcast (audio or video) piece of any length specifically addressing the topic of “fake news.” This category was created in response to the intense attention to and coverage of fake news in 2017.
- SPECIAL TOPIC CATEGORY FOR 2018 MIRROR AWARDS: Best Story on Sexual Misconduct in the Media Industry ($1,000 prize): A carefully researched print, digital or broadcast (audio or video) piece of any length specifically addressing the topic of sexual misconduct in the media. This category was created in response to the intense attention to and coverage of sexual misconduct in the media industry in 2017.
- BEST SINGLE ARTICLE/STORIES ($1,000 prize): A carefully researched print, digital or broadcast (audio or video) piece of any length. Articles may include photo, video, sidebars, audio and/or interactive elements in addition to the written piece. Regular features/columns, opinion pieces or film/television reviews should not be entered.
- BEST PROFILE ($1,000 prize): Any carefully researched and sourced piece covering a single person or organization noteworthy in the media industry. Excerpts from “three dot columns”/social notebook features or excerpts from books (unless the book was originally published in serial form in a periodical) should not be entered. These pieces can be print, radio, television or digital.
- BEST COMMENTARY ($1,000 prize): Demonstrates the writer’s overall knowledge of the issues, analytic skills and unique voice. Submissions may be published in print, online, broadcast or radio. This is the category for opinion, humor, columns, etc. Only one (1) piece is required for submission. In the past, this category has required submission of three (3) pieces.
- JOHN M. HIGGINS AWARD FOR BEST IN-DEPTH/ENTERPRISE REPORTING ($5,000 prize): Digital, broadcast or traditional/legacy media may be entered. Entries may be a series of articles, or a single, in depth investigative article. Entries may cross platforms, but is not required and will be judged on the quality of the reporting and the importance of the story covered.